Youth & Family Ministry
Welcome to Youth & Family Ministry!
Approximately 100 years ago Unity’s cofounder, Myrtle Fillmore, shared her philosophy about our children in Unity:
“Our mission is not to entertain the children but to call them out.
To be always entertained is to be dwarfed and dependent.
To be ‘called out’ is to follow the harmonious law of the soul’s unfoldment.”
-Myrtle Fillmore, co-founder of Unity
At Christ Church Unity, we adhere to this powerful philosophy. Here, Youth & Family ministry is an integral part of who we are. Ministry is a vital part of Christ Church Unity for several reasons. First, because our kids & teens are beautiful and amazing as all kids & teens are! Second, because our kids & teens bring so much life energy to our church…they hold a very special consciousness here. Third, because our kids & teens are not only our future, as the saying goes, they are our present. They are here now, and they bring us infinite and abundant blessings every single Sunday.
We want you to know more about us and what we do each week. Here is our Statement of Purpose:
We nurture the divinity within every child by:
- Providing spiritual education based on Unity Truth principles
- Empowering our children and teens to use these Truth principles in their daily lives as they learn and grow
- Creating a spiritual community with our kids, teens, and families that is safe, supportive, and fun!
All of our curricula are based on Unity’s 5 Basic Principles:
1. God is all good and active in everything, everywhere.
2. I am naturally good because God’s Divinity is in me and in everyone.
3. I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
4. Through affirmative prayer and meditation I connect with God and bring out the
good in my life.
5. I do and give my best by living the Truth I know. I make a difference!
(Adapted for children and teens by Unity Worldwide Ministries.)
The Bible is considered Unity’s basic textbook. However, in Unity we interpret the Bible metaphysically which means we explore the deeper spiritual meanings within each story. We use excellent bibles with our kids and teens beginning at age 3. We’d be glad to show them to you any time! Our kids learn the stories and are encouraged to find personal meaning in each one. As they grow and mature, metaphorical and metaphysical Bible interpretation is introduced at the middle school level.
| Rick Kilby
Much of what occurs in each classroom is different based on the developmental levels found within each group. However, there are some similarities for all classrooms from Unity Beginners through Y.O.U. Each of these classrooms engages the kids or teens in a sacred circle experience which includes: introductions, prayer & meditation, spiritual lesson, discussion, and love offering.
Nursery care and Sunday School classes for Pre-K through 5th Grade occur at both services. Uniteens (Grades 6-8) and Y.O.U. (Youth of Unity; Grades 9 – 12) meet at 11am only.
Below is a list of our classrooms by age/grade and a description of each can be accessed from the menu above.
- Nursery: Birth - 3 years
- Unity Beginners: Pre-Kindgergarten and Kindergarten
- Unity Kids: Grades 1-5
- Uniteens: Grades 6-8
- Y.O.U. (Youth of Unity): Grades 9-12
A quiet room in the back of the sanctuary offers parents and their children a way to hear the Sunday service without interrupting the congregation. Peace and Blessings!